How to make Pongal:
1. Pongal Paanai (clay-pot) is decorated around its neck with mango leaves.
2. Boil water & milk (without the rice) in the clay-pot.
3. When the milk spills over add rice to the clay-pot.
4. Once the rice is cooked, add chakkarai (sugar) or Jaggery (grated), honey, raisins & cashews.
5. Few pods of Cardamom enhance the flavor of pongal.
6. Once the mixture is ready for serving set up the pongal on plates.
After a few minutes of meditation or prayer to the Sun God, Pongal is served.